View Single Post
Old 07-13-05, 08:51 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have prolink at home, which never gets used because i always remember to lube my chain while i'm at work. at my old job, we used triflow. at my new job, we use DuMonde Tech. i still really like triflow, but the DuMonde Tech is also really nice. the light version is a little lighter than Phil's Tenacious.

i mostly use the Phil's stuff for re-lubing freewheels and freehub bearings, and it's a pretty good cable lube as well. it's also good for places like V-brake pivots, and pretty much anything else that pivots, like derailleurs, shifters, regular caliper brake pivots, and it's also good on spoke nipples to keep them from squeeking. i won't use it on my chain though, because it's just too thick and attracts too much grit and grime, which is what turns your chainstays black, and will also wear your chain, cog, and chainring faster, and also get your hands all greasy and disgusting when you get a flat and have to pull your chain off and then put it back on again.

if you're good about maintaining your drivetrain with some of the waterier stuff, you shouldn't have to worry about gobbing your chain up with some super thick lube. and if you wipe the excess off before you go out to ride, you won't get all the road dirt and grime in your chain at all.

s2sxiii- not all lubricants are created equal. different consistencies are formulated for different purposes. for a chain, you need something thinner, that will flow better and get into the tiny crevices and not attract a lot of dirt, because the chain is always explosed to the elements. you wouldn't lube your chain with 5wt shock oil, would you? if you're a hack and don't take care of your things, and don't bother to re-lube after riding in the rain, then by all means, gob your drivetrain up with the thickest grease you can find. for wheel and headset bearings, you need something much thicker, like polylube, or triflow syn grease that will lubricate the bearings and stick around, not flow out of where it's supposed to be, like motor oil or chain lube would, and it doesn't matter if it's too thick and attracts dirt, because hopefully, your headsets and hubs have dust covers to keep that crap out of them, and the grease in. saying "a lubricant is a lubricant is a lubricant" sounds pretty dumb to me.