View Single Post
Old 07-14-05, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I'm sure you could find many chemists that would say its (MeOH) not really that dangerous (myself included). And yes everything is poison in excess. Even water has a lethal dose.
In a lab environment, using the proper precautions, I would agree that methanol isn't that dangerous nor as toxic as other things I could mention. I've used it in largeish quanitities in heated sealed reactors and don't have a problem with it. But I also have it in a hood under conditions that limit my exposure if something goes wrong and I wear personal protective equipment when I handle it. Plus I have 25 year experience dealing with it and other chemicals. Most home consumers don't have any experience dealing with it nor do they have any knowledge of the hazards of the compound itself. That's why this forum is so useful. We who do have knowledge of the material can impart our wisdom to those who don't.

As I've said before, if you have to use it, use it in the smallest quantity that you can, use it with proper ventilation, use gloves and be aware of the hazards. And, if you possibly can, find some "real" denatured ethanol, not the high methanol mixtures.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!