Old 12-20-11, 06:08 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Data-base to find which rims EASILY fit with which tires in the 451 world.

Let's start a data-base to find which rims EASILY fit with which tires. My issue is with 451 tires, they seem not very compatible with 451 rims. If you know better please let us know.
This is what i posted on another thread:
Some tires and some rims are just crazy difficult to mount and dismount even though the numbers on the rim and tire are the same.
For instance Schwalbe Stelvios and FMF Power-Moto rims (both 451) make getting a flat or changing a tire a 65 min. ordeal. If you do it in public people think you have never changed a tire before! Mounting is MUCH harder than dismounting them. Tried Velocity rims and it was just as difficult.
The guys from Schwalbe need to have a lunch-meeting with the people who manufacture 451 rims. I am sure they could come to an agreement on what 451 actually means.

I also tried Primo Comets with the Velocity rims and it was also hard going.

Now to be clear, I am not new to changing tires on all sorts of rims. I have been doing it first with 20" BMX rims in the mid 70's to 700cc tires as recently as last week so that is what? 40 yrs of changing tires and I have never had such a difficult time as I have with 451's. Lastly, I really love the Stelvios & own 3 of these expensive, nice tires. I want to continue rolling with them.