Old 12-22-11, 09:34 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
So you continue to concentrate on one Lemond, not both.
Actually I did refer to both. The second one has the bolt-on seatstay arrangement that focuses bending stress on (surprise) the spot where yours broke. All current-model aluminum Treks have both stays welded. You'd have to go back a ways to find one with the bolt-up arrangement; the most recent ones to feature carbon seatstays had them bonded into lugs at the dropout.

Take a look at the first Lemond, you think that $1000 bike is US made?
Well, the "made in USA" sticker does sort of suggest that. Although knowing Trek, that could mean something different than it sounds

Does it not have the same design, tube shape and structure as the current Trek alum bikes?
No it doesn't. To enumerate just a couple blatantly obvious differences, the 1-series are based on round tubes with much heftier welds and an externally-butted head tube, and the 2-series use hydroformed, shaped top tubes, downtubes, head tubes and stays. Just based on those traits alone, I could tell all three apart blindfolded.

Why? I could take a picture and post it but you'd look for something else to argue .
For your safety, that's all. I've seen people going around with their stems barely hiding the wedge, and stems with short quills are a lot more common than stems with long ones. So just making sure