Old 12-23-11, 04:00 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Sorry man, you are lost. A Cannondale CAD3 does not represent all Cannondale aluminum. But I love the way you omit words to change the meaning of my statement.

From "A Cannondale alum like my CAD3 with a beefy BB area" to "Cannondale aluminum".

Either way, you have seemed to miss my entire point. The Cannondale is a big beefy BB area and the TREK is a smaller diameter tube that is flexy. One is more durable than the other, I wil leave that to your imagination to figure it out.
I didn't miss the point. The point I suggested you were making was the one you stated above: "One is more durable than the other," and the evidence you are giving is your one Trek Lemond frame broken at the bottom bracket and one Cannondale not broken at the bottom bracket.

But you seem to be suggesting I twisted your words. Well let's look at the sentence in question:

"Now a Cannondale alum bike like my CAD3 is a different story with it's beefy BB area. Mine is a 98 and no problem but far stiffer and less flaxy [sic] than the Trek design."

There are two ways to interpret the first part of this statement: "Now a Cannondale alum bike like my CAD3..." You could mean that there is "a" Cannondale aluminum bike (exactly 1) that has the characteristics you describe, or that 'any' Cannondale that shares the characteristics you describe is better. It seems unlikely you were referring to one single other bike, so I assumed you were making a generalization about all Cannondale bikes with a design similar to yours. Your most recent statement :"On is more durable than the other." Again leaves open the question - are you talking about all bikes that are designed similar to the Cannondale, or just "one" particular bike. If you were referring to one particular bike (you did not specify which one, just that it is like your Cannondale which has a beefy BB area.

However, if you were making a generalization, you are wrong to make said generalization based on your minute sample size. Having sold both Treks and Cannondales in the past, I can confirm that Cannondales have a similar failure rate to Treks. But what do I know - you have had one (1) trek frame that broke at the bottom bracket.