View Single Post
Old 12-26-11, 07:22 AM
BrokenSproket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7 speed conversion to touring

It was suggested in the Bicycle Mechanics forum to post this in touring forum also.

I am converting 1989 or 90 Specialized RockCombo with Shimano 7 sp cassette to touring bike, keeping the 7 sp cassette. Dropouts are 130 mm. I am not interested in friction downtube or bar end shifters although I understand why some tourers prefer them over brifters.

I have bought Shimano ST-2303 triple 8sp brifters, KMZ Z5 chain (116 links, 1/2"x3/32"), Alivio rear derailleur, and have either of two front derailleurs that I can use--Shimano Alivio or Shimano Tiagra triple.

The front crankset now on the bike is a wonderful classic Specialized 110bcd square taper triple crank which I must unfortunately replace because there is not enough room to shift from middle chainring to outer without front derailleur hitting the right spinning arm. Also, I don't believe it would index properly with the brifter.

I would like to keep the smooth spinning square taper bottom bracket if possible.

Questions:
The front crank is the only component I have not bought yet. I have found 8 speed triple crankset with square taper--Shimano Alivio. Will this index properly in the front with the brifter and chain I have? Also, which front derailleur will work best indexing with this setup? Rings will be either 22-32-42, or 28-38-48 with the small ring changed to 24t. Will I need to change the spindle length of the bottom bracket?

I am not against having a better crankset and changing the bottom bracket. Will a non-8sp crankset work with the brifters and front derailleurs I have? If so, what would you recommend? I realize I would probably need a norrower chain.

Are there other considerations I have not addressed to make this a properly shifting tourer with brifters?

Thanks in advance for your advice.