Old 07-15-05, 06:54 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride this morning. Not hot. Could have been cooler though. Smelled a skunk.

Warning: Good-Natured Testosterone Commute Race Tale Follows!

Yesterday afternoon's ride home was fun. I was reeling in a guy on an MTB but before I got to him, he darted off the paved trail and into the woods. Beyond that point there's a stop sign. I was slowing down for that sign and Mister MTB comes zipping back out of the woods and proceeds to drop me like a hot rock, blowing through the stop sign and all.

This will not stand.

I accelerated from the sign and took up residence about 15 feet behind him, and stayed there. Him blowing stop signs. Me slowing/stopping for signs and then catching back up for sport. He never got up out of the saddle but he did bounce and push hard several times. He kept looking behind him. Still here, buddy! Keep trying!

The last sign he blew through, he yelled, "CAR COMING!" As if I was blowing through the signs as well. I came to a complete stop. Stupid cager stops and waves me through. Sigh. More sport... I get on it and get behind Mister MTB yet again.

At this point I can tell he's losing power. He was gradually slowing. 1MPH here. 1MPH there. For a while he had his hands off his bars and was pushing on his thighs.

Finally, he moved far to the right and slowed to about 15MPH, at which point I said, "On your left", and sprinted. Never saw him again.