Old 12-29-11, 01:41 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
People don't realize how hurtful the rejection of gifts are. Accept the gift and appreciate the thought.

my mother in law never accepts any gifts that my wife gives her, it's like a joke. One time I spend a decent amount of time picking out some earrings for my wife and she took them back. Then later she realized that they were much better than what she ended up with and apologized. But the damage was done and let her buy things like that for herself. My daughter has gotten the bug, she was furious over the gifts she got this year and made a big scene. She has been off at college and we have no idea what to get her, but my wife felt compelled to get her something. I've been telling my wife for a couple of years that there is an easy solution to that problem -- cash or nothing with a preference on the "nothing" side. Some people never learn without some natural consequences.
+1

The joke I repeat over and over is, "surprise her by getting exactly what she wants." Except I don't deviate from that plan with a couple individuals. After you make someone upset too many times just for trying to do a good thing, you quit trying. Even if you get exactly the right thing (because you were told) it takes most of the joy out of it, because it's no longer a gift in the real sense of the word.

One gift that would benefit some people is the ability to see the world through the eyes of others.