onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy cassette spacing and Shimano conversion

Okay, I was running a hubub system, 10 speed Campy shifters with a Shimano 9 speed derailleur and cassette; worked great. Having way to much time on my hands, I then added a Campy 10 speed derailleur with a Miche Shimano spline and spacing, 10 speed cassette and switched out 7 of the 10 Shimano spacers for Campagnolo spacers. The system worked pretty well, except for a rough shift in the area of the 6 and 7 cog (smallest to largest). which could be adjusted out, but it made me wonder what was going on. I then read that Campy places a .13mm wider cog between 6 and 7. I have not experimented with a wider spacer but it does make me wonder.

Now I plan on trying a Shiftmate using the Campy shifter/derailleur to see which one works the best (The shiftmate has not arrived yet. My question is, should I still use a wider spacer between 6 and 7. I figured the Shiftmate would reduce the pull length by about 5% for the Shimano spacers, so I figure I would add a .12 wider spacer.

Has anyone heard of this wider spacer with campy 10 speeds? Does it sound like it's worth the tweak to see if it's better. I know we're talking very small numbers here, but the difference between shifters and cassettes of different brands is often about .2mm and they are not comparable. Is there anyone else out there that deals with such minutia?

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 01-02-12 at 08:34 PM.