Old 01-02-12, 12:06 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Proposed Bike Lanes for Greenpoint (Brooklyn)

http://www.observer.com/2012/01/bicy...in-greenpoint/

You will have to click the link to view the article, I am not excerpting a quote here.
I think we have an image of the proposed lane diagram, though:

My Response:
Ask Yourself: Who is responsible for the Safety of the Cyclists- should the Government build Bike Lanes, or should Individual Motorists be more courteous and careful?
I turns out that the Government must shoulder (no pun intended) the responsibility.
I've driven cars and I've ridden bicycles. From the viewpoint of a driver, I can say that Bicycles are not invisible, you can see them, and slow down , check your mirrors, and move left to pass.
When I ride a bike, I notice that most motorists pass with seven to ten feet of clearance, so it can be done. It's just a matter of getting ALL the drivers to clear the Bikes with enough room to spare.
Okay, looking at the existing and proposed diagram, I have a different idea. The width overall is 56 feet. Get rid of the (flush) median, make the travel (moving) lanes 20 feet wide in each direction, with 8 foot shoulders on either side. Then the cyclists can travel safely, either on the shoulder, or by sharing the now twenty foot wide travel lane.