Thread: Aero bars
View Single Post
Old 01-04-12, 10:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I ride on aerobars both on my TT bike with a very aggressive position and on my hybrid with a more relaxed aero position.
Basicly I ride on my aerobars about 90% of the time all year long.
Ignore everyone telling you that they don't handle well on descents or inclines or winding roads ... those comments surely come from people that aren't completely accustomed to their aerobars yet.
Obviously in tight turns or on very steep hills you don't want to be in your aerobars, but once you get used to it you can quickly switch to your basebar and back.
Aerobars are simply the most comfortable way to bike ever, once you get used to them, of course.
Especially for long century rides I wouldn't want anything else ... the comfort for back, neck, shoulders, elbows and especially wrists is simply unsurpassable.
Did I mention you have to get used to them already? Oh ... I did
To the OP, this is very much a minority view.

I think most road cyclists do find aerobars to not handle well on descents, climbs and winding roads. Moreover, the vast majority of road cyclists find them to be inappropriate for riding a century in a group setting. If you put them on you only want to use them riding solo, which will limit their utility.

Also most people find that aerobars (at least aerobars set up in a truly aero position) are not very comfortable. And if you want to get the aerobars dialed in, it tends to alter your fit when not in the aerobars.

You also need to consider that riding with aerobars in an aero position will tend to limit your vision riding in traffic on open roads.

IMHO, aerobars are best reserved for time trials, triathlons, and training for such.

Some people do like them for road riding, and as long as you don't use them around others that's fine. But I think you'll find the majority of road riders don't.

And FWIW, I'm fairly well accustomed to riding with aerobars, having done so since 1990, and having won a few time trials.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.