View Single Post
Old 01-04-12, 08:55 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Family room:
Marantz 2285 receiver; Marantz 5120 cassette deck; TEAC 3300SR reel to reel, TEAC 4070G reel to reel; Grace WIFI Internet Tuner, JVC XL-M409 CD changer; Realistic tape deck switcher; AR 48s speakers; JBL 12" subwoofer.

There's also a Yamaha home theater system in the same room that shares the subwoofer, plus it has one of its own. It's set up at right angles to the vintage system.

Master bedroom:
Marantz 2230 receiver; TEAC 2300SX reel to reel; Onkyo 5000 amplifier; Grace Solo WIFI Internet tuner; POS Sony carousel CD changer; Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers.

Garage:
Pioneer BPC (black plastic crap) yard sale laser disc/CD player and receiver laughably overrated at 105 watts per channel; AR Rock Partners speakers; Grace Solo WIFI internet tuner. Also connected to outdoor Mini Advents.

My daughter has an Aiwa mini system in her room that sounds a whole lot better since I gave her a pair of Boston Acoustics A70 speakers that I bought for $20. I actually got 3 for that price. The other one is a plant stand now.

It's just like restoring old bikes. The TEAC 4070G is in pristine condition except for a missing little plastic trim piece. I've been watching eBay for 3 months for somebody parting out that rare model and it finally paid off. He was selling other parts, but I asked him if he had the part that I needed. I ended up paying $9 with shipping. I'd have been willing to pay 3 times that much.

I have a collection of old vinyl and a couple of decent turntables Miracord and Technics), but they're packed away. I guess I've gotten too lazy to fuss with it. My favorites have already been transferred to 7 1/2 i.p.s. tapes, so why bother with it?

Last edited by Grand Bois; 01-04-12 at 09:15 PM.