Old 01-05-12, 08:37 AM
siddartha

Bikes: B'Twin Original 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Obviously you live in a low crime area as I do. In that case, the frame lock is most probably all you need. I use just a cable and lock tucked away in a tool bottle which fits in my water bottle holder. I have never locked my front wheel and rarely my back depending on the situation. ie. nothing to lock to, the frame and back wheel. Something to lock to, just the frame to whatever.
Yes, but as a matter of confort, I would like to invest more in security instead of a more expensive bike. The reason is like this: I am going to move to a smaller village which does not have more than 3 buses a day. Sure, most people seem to be trying to guard their bought goods. My purpose is to guard my ride home as I do not plan to return by foot. For turning your back to the bike the frame lock seems to me the best idea by far. For leaving the bike unattended a Ulock must be a better idea.

Although I live in an area where vandalism is more of a problem than theft, I might as well move forward and reach a large city where things are different. Now I have to sort out changing the quick release from the wheels and seat.

The bike in the picture reminds me of those safety wires found on some scooter and motorbike locks, designed to remind you the wheel is locked. Which means the area is as safe as here. I lived most of my life in a low crime metropolis, yet the opportunistic thief was everywhere. Meaning you can put a bike in a locked lobby and go upstairs for less than half an hour and turn back to discover someone from the building or who knows the door code has entered to took off with the bike. Here people amaze me. In the basement there are at least ten bikes stored, not counting mine and a few kid bikes as well. All without protection or with the locks hanging on the seat or something. The reason I don't put my locks is that I feel bad about showing distrust, yet I do have a feeling of unease each time I leave it there. Old habits die hard, right?