View Single Post
Old 01-06-12, 02:08 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode my 622 winterbike today and felt unstable. For some reason I kept thinking I wanted my folder for the ride instead but I did not put studded tyres on the folder yet. Two years ago i rode the folder the whole winter. I mowed house just before that winter started and putting studded tyres on more than one bike for myself when I also had my sons did not tempt me.

If there is not much snow or they plow fast for sure a 20" can work well but remember 24" is also an option.

About slush and snow. NOBODY rides trough 6-8" of snow, you have to walk the bike trough. If it is just a short distance it is impossible to just speed up and "plow" troug becouse your frontwheel is going to loose directions and go off to one side (maybe a pugsly can ride on top).

Slush is your enemy. If there often is ice you need studded tyres, and the smallest ones made is 20".

Riders weight and center of gravity for sure is important but there is more. Approx six yrs ago when we started riding in the winter I realised my son had much more problems than I had. The reason is he was a young child, riding a 24" bike. Since I was much heavyer than him at that time my weight would force the studs into the ground but that did not happen for him so he would slide more than once. That has since changed.

I rode today on a country road that is not given priority for plowing. Therefor the cars pack the snow when driving and it is hard uneven and nasty, just like cobblestone. Also you have the "tracks" where the cars drive and you better stay in them or else you slide towards them. All this with the dog pulling the bike out of its direction . This is where my instinkts told me the folder would have been the best. When I arrived at the MUP that was nicely plowed and only used by bikes and dogwalkers I was fine with the 622. Still, the 20" would also have been great on the mup so therefor I keep thinking to put studs on it.

A lo of things play a role so you need to just keep reading and compare to what you have to deal with on your ride.

Last edited by badmother; 01-06-12 at 02:12 PM. Reason: zPelliNg