Trek DS 8.4 Rider!

Bikes: 1991 Gt Avalanche, 2012 DS 8.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannydan
Thanks!
Why stay away from the suspended fork btw? Isn't it better if you hit holes, switch from sidewalk to road (height difference), etc?
To answer your question Danny, those little holes really aren't that big of a deal with a rigid fork. The only time i open up my suspended fork is when i go mountain biking and there are a lot of drops and over 20mph+ Downhills or even on Single Tracks. Anything else isn't really needed. The less expensive bikes have very soft dampening on their forks and can actually be unsafe on the road when you open them up. Mine dips A LOT when i use my front brakes! If i turn my bar suddenly, the fork will DIP and cause the bike to lose control...not a safe feeling. This is with pre-load all the way up. As you mentioned, if your aren't doing anything like downhills on the dirt where there are big drops and rocks, a suspended fork on a budget priced bike is not only heavier but not as strong and sturdy as a rigid fork. Either way, get what makes you happy. Hopefully these suggestions help you to decide what you would like to get.