Old 01-08-12, 03:15 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nyc_commuter
I'm toying with the idea of converting my Nexus IGH hybrid to drop bars - primarily for more hand positions. I like the J-tek bar-end shifter because it works with the Nexus hub and is relatively cheap; but I don't know how much of an inconvenience it would be to take my hand off the hoods and reach down to the bar-end every time I need to shift. Is this something that becomes second-nature and you don't really think of as an inconvenience after a while? I have a relatively hilly commute and find myself shifting - both rapid-fire and gradually - pretty frequently. I'd like to get the input of commuters who currently use bar-end shifters. Thanks!

P.S. I'm aware of the Versa brifter for Nexus hubs which sounds ideal, but the exorbitant price tag eliminates this as an option for me.
If you're riding mostly on streets then it shouldn't be a problem. I have the Jtek shifter and I like it but there are times I'd rather keep both hands on the bars and still be able to shift.

Early last week I had to deal with long stretches covered with icy ruts. I really had to pay attention to what I was doing and it was the first time it bothered me not to have the shifter at my finger tips. Most of the time it's a non-issue.