View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 10:45 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I ride like that every day on roads with narrow lanes, or intersection issues that make it safer to ride near the center of the lane. It's not "hogging" the lane if it's not safe for drivers to pass you within the same lane or if it's unsafe to ride farther right.

Some of the roads I use have wide lanes (14' or more) or wide paved shoulders where I can ride far enough right for drivers to pass without changing lanes. I do that as a courtesy when I find it safe enough to do so.

But it's true that a lot of cyclists ride at the rightmost edge of the pavement no matter what, and then wonder why they get passed at very close distance by drivers trying to squeeze by in too little room, or get right hooked at intersections. That's why it's helpful for more experienced cyclists to share their observations about how they can reduce these problems by operating differently.
Its not hogging the lane if its unsafe to share the road otherswise, but drivers also aren't required to fully change lanes to pass in most, maybe all states.

As far as my read of states laws regulating bike traffic goes, partial lane changes to pass slowly moving cyclists are allowed in almost every state. some states specifically allow bicyclists to 'control' a narrow lane. In some states, crossing a solid double yellow to safely pass a cyclist is legal.

Generally speaking, if you can safely share a two lane road by riding to allow partial lane changes to pass, a rider should, even if the state you're in allows you to control the lane. Don't share if it isn't safe, share the road if safe to do so.

If it is safe to share it otherwise, why not be courteous road user? hogging the road may be legal but is it fair & courteous use of a public highway?

Last edited by Bekologist; 01-10-12 at 11:07 AM.