View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 01:24 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, right.

To quote (modified) from RaleighSport above... with the reality of what I have encountered... sure it works well, most of the time... but I was riding months ago, in a town I'm that I know like the back of my hand while cycling, I was in a bikelane turned into no bikelane in a 3 lanes each direction 50mph road, I took the center of the right lane. The traffic was extremely light, but fast. I was buzzed and honked at by a city garbage truck that could easily have moved to either open lane to the left, but chose instead to straddle two lanes while passing closely. (I had no other place to go)

Several years ago on a quiet Sunday morning... I am occupying the right lane on a 3 lane 35 MPH arterial road. There is no other traffic in sight in front of me or beside me for more than 1/2 mile. There are cars parked along the side of the road. I am in the center of the right lane, doing a nice 17-18 MPH pace. Motorist comes up from behind and rides my tail for about 30 seconds, then honks... lays on the horn. Remember 3 lanes, no other traffic. The motorist does not pass, but honks again. In about a 1/4 mile or so... or a long city block, the motorist finally pulls into a driveway. Was that driver co-operating?

I have other similar stories... I have lots and lots of road riding and commuting time... yes, generally motorists are co-operative... but why is it that they can be so uncooperative at times when the road is clear and you as a cyclist have no choice but to take a single lane?

Now the irony of my encounters with motorists in these and other similar situations is that I have formed the notion that when a motorist comes up behind me, and honks because I am in the right lane... well obviously they must want me to move to the next lane left... because apparently they are too dumb to do that for themselves.

Oh and lest you think that obviously I am the screw up cyclist and these are just rare encounters... I have also been thanked by motorists for being predictable and cooperative and for being an example for other cyclists... So it's like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are going to get.
I was fully prepared for honks, and was often checking my rear for any JAM's that really did go a lot smoother then I expected when I found myself with no bike lane,however often I find I get a "retaliation buzz" for using stop signs properly... how's that for messed up?