Thread: Bike Nashbar
View Single Post
Old 01-11-12, 10:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have been shopping at the same LBS for over 30 years. They typically give me a discount, regardless of what I buy. Some things get discounted more than others, probably due to markup or markdown if it has been laying around for a while. They have also GIVEN me quite few things, old bicycles, used tires, wheels, frames, etc. I got a whole box of Sturmey Archer parts the last time they cleaned out the parts room.

I pretty much know what their wholesale costs and markups are, I would not ask them to meet an internet price. If they want to that is fine. In many cases with internet pricing, by the time you add shipping costs you are at what the LBS charges anyway. I have absolutely no problem with them making a profit or even meeting their overhead.

I owned a retail business for a while and most people that come in wanting a discount have no clue what kind of expenses small businesses face these days, all they care about is saving a few dollars right then and there. Our general policy was no discounts for anybody, we did run sales and give out coupons, use those if you want to save some money.

As far as Nashbar is concerned? I seldom shop there after the way they handled the credit card security breach. I think it is funny that all these companies/banks etc want you to change your pass word for security reasons. I have had close to a dozen credit cards compromised over the past few years and every one was due to security breaches at either the processing center or the business level, NOT at my account level.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon