Old 01-11-12, 10:27 AM
taJai

Bikes: 1993 Giant ATX 770, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2009 Trek 2.1, Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northern KY, Cincinnati Checking In

Hi! I'm a long time lurker, but I figure if I really want to start learning more and meeting people I need to get more involved. I'm not exactly new to cycling, but it wasn't always my primary form of exercise and entertainment. To make a long story short, my lower back is pretty screwed up (herniation, degenerative discs), probably permanently, and road cycling seems to be about the only thing that usually doesn't cause extreme pain. This sucks at 31, but hey it could be worse I suppose, and I'm not looking for pity. I will however use this forum to help keep me on the right track toward not getting any more injured while continuing to learn about my growing passion: sweet old school bikes! I have a lot to learn and will probably start by posting in the Vintage Touring thread to get some ideas on sprucing up my main ride: an 85 Raleigh Alyeska.

I also have an aluminum Scott mountain bike from 1996 I believe, and a single speed, maybe fixed gear early 90's Trek MTB project. I had a fixed gear conversion road bike but it was too small for me and I'll hopefully do another one of those some day. I'm going to chill on MTBing for a while and see if the spine gets any better, but I love riding dirty.

I'd like to get in on some local slower group rides in NKY and Cincinnati, not that I wouldn't like to run with the bike shop/spandex crew, but right now I don't know if I could hang, especially on my old friction shifting tourer.

Sorry for the long first post!