View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 02:30 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Careful....there are many on this forum who are not always what they appear to be.

Apart from that - I would like to present my exhibit A: a racer who I talked into cycling and racing a few years ago. His brother is an accomplished US track olympian, raced for Garmin on their Euro classics squad, etc. He had never really ridden or raced. He tried some riding basically because he was a sales guy trying to sell product to me and he saw it as a way to create a common connection.

He didn't have the body for racing. Neither does his brother actually....but the genetics....

He went from a 5->3 in half a season. Won Downer's Grove as his first race as a cat 3.

http://youtu.be/YSLgy16CNS0
I still remember him pulling around the cat5 field at the Monsters of the Midway for about half a lap during the final lap and just barely getting nipped at the line for 2nd place. About 2 month after he picked up cycling. That just stunned the **** out of me.