Old 01-17-12, 02:56 AM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
TREK 460 get a frame mod

Hello all-

I finally gave up my search for a nice track frame... I was picky... I wanted a lugged steel frame with a slight forward slope to the top tube and it had to be reasonably priced. Nothing turned up after more than a year of searching. So, I decided to take my 1984 Trek 460, which met all the criteria minus the track drop outs, and mod the frame. I researched the various track drop available, then I started to get cold feet, I love my 460 and what if I ever wanted to go back to a geared set up? I settled on the Surly drop out, it would be easy to do a frame in mod without having to mess with the brazing, and it had a derailleur hanger so I could swap back in the future if I so choose. I handed the frame and drop out to my buddy Tim, he's an amazing artist that works in wood and metal, plus he's the best welder I know. In no time, I had the frame back... I was so pleased! It looked great, the wheel was perfectly centered, and the rim is spot on for a rear brake (should I decide to make the 460 back into a road bike). The '84 460 had bolt on frame shifters on the down tube and 3 cable guides on the top tube, I removed those without much effort, and I feel like I have a nice clean frame that's ready for a sandblasting and powdercoat. As I can't seem to make up my mind which color I want, I decided to gather together all the parts and mock up the build... maybe seeing it together I'd be able to decide on a new color... still nothing for sure.

Color suggestions???

Here's a list of the parts as it sits:
* TITEC seat post
* BROOKS saddle
* SALSA quill stem
* TANGE Falcon headset (not pictured)
* CINELLI Tempo pursuit handlebars
* PAUL Cross brake lever
* SHIMANO Dura Ace brake caliper
* FSA carbon fiber cranks
* FSA titanium bottom bracket
* PAUL Chainkeeper chain guide
* PAUL high flange track hubs laced to MAVIC MA2 hoops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SurlyDropOutMod-2.jpg (14.2 KB, 48 views)
SurlyTREK469ss2-1.jpg (9.7 KB, 270 views)
SurlyTREK460ss1-1.jpg (12.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 01-17-12 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling screw ups