Old 01-18-12, 10:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Great advice, rhm. A coping saw would give me more enjoyment, too, I think. Nice tools usually do.

Many thanks! I think this might come together sooner than I thought...

And yes, the blank is already drilled for a 49D, and several other makers from the 50s. You've just added Constrictor to my knowledge of those others. Till now I knew Constrictor for rims, pedals and hubs.
The crank I have is strange. I got the two arms in two ebay sales from the same seller; drive side is marked CONSTRICTOR as in the photo, non-drive side is marked BSA and if I recall correctly has the three rifles logo. They seem to be the same design, same size, same finish, same flute, &c. So I would assume they were made by BSA and some were marked Constrictor. They are very nicely made, at any rate, with the spider and crank arm forged from a single piece of steel.

I don't actually know whether they will fit a TA ring. I also have a pair of Williams arms of the same design. Nice thin arms, quite light (the left arm is seen in this thread). I don't have a photo of the drive side arm with me now, but will try to remember to post it tomorrow. The spider is swaged to the arm, though. I bought an Electra ring for this crank, and it didn't fit; the hole wasn't quite big enough. But the same ring fits TA, Lambert, and Milremo crank arms (I tried them myself). So it could be the Constrictor arm is, like the Williams, a slightly different pattern. It was close enough that after a little work with a half-round file I got the Electra arm onto the Williams ring.