View Single Post
Old 01-18-12, 01:54 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al

Here's my recently acquired 1972-ish PX-10, as-found, yes with the absurd seatpost (naturally it's .2 too thin too). Wheels are Miche/Champion clinchers, meaning a subsitution was made early in the bike's life, maybe even by the original LBS it came from. This weekend I found later Simplex derailleurs so can get away from Delrin, also cleaner Simplex shifters and cable guides and a proper sized (if not Simplex) seatpost. I had already found Mafac Racers off a donor bike, so most of the parts I needed for the bike are at hand...now it's just dealing with the rough paint and cosmetics and a bit (I hope) of alignment on the fork.

I had a whole thread about this bike so won't repeat all the details. One funny note I've found though is from the serial number on the BB. That is, there are two small holes where the rivets to hold the little SN tag should go. But no tag, instead the numbers are crudely stamped into the BB shell itself. (Which is pretty crude too--what's that ridge at the bottom?!) It turns out that balindamood has the same thing on the PX-10 he's selling in the FS thread. I figure they just ran short on the tags or that was too much work so they went to the stamps. He reports that the number on his bike is pretty illegible--one of the digits is stamped sideways!

Hopefully the seat tube isn't deformed. I just had to have mine reamed about .2mm and honed to make up for the very same mistake. Can't be too careful on those old tubes.