Old 01-21-12, 01:04 AM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stbtra
I have had motorists flash their brights at me when my handlebar mounted 200 lumen zoomable flashlight was pointed a little too high--this is actually what prompted this question.

but thanks for all the information guys, will definitely look into getting magicshines and replacing the lenses.
And I've had them flash their brights at me with my 300-lumen German-spec SuperNova E3 Pro, complete with cutoff, on level ground. You can really overthink this... from the compliments my Nova, DiNottes and now my Hotshot have recieved as tailights, the general trend is that motorists LIKE cyclists to be easy to see, instead of being last-minute discoveries. And we're talking lights like the one at the start of this video:

I can hear the bleeding hearts now: oh, that's too bright, it'll blind motorists, how terrible. Which must be why they're rolling down their windows to praise it for being so easy to notice amidst the traffic. Don't get carried away with the assumptions. And for what it's worth, I ride on pitch-dark trails with guys who have MagicShines, and even a point-blank blast from a helmet-mounted MS during a regroup doesn't qualify as "blinding." Just don't stare into it like an idiot, and you're fine.