mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Car free in San Jose Bay area?

Eleven years ago, I was living in San Jose. I sold my car and went bicycle touring for a year. When I returned in 2002, I moved to CO. Didn't need a car right away so never bought one. In 2009, I moved to Portland and living car free was even easier.

I am contemplating a move back to San Francisco Bay area - and looking for highlights to consider for remaining car free. So familiar with both being car free (11 years so far) and Bay Area but not necessarily together. Associate the south Bay with easy weather but lots of suburban auto-associated sprawl.

Posting this to get some perceptions on few related areas (ironically mostly on bike alternatives - still remember most of cycle routing and possibilities):
1. Seems obvious to think of find place not too far from Caltrain - but any stations/downtowns better than others? [thinking Mt View to San Jose as candidates]. Alternately, how well does light rail work?
2. Bike lockers at Caltrain stations, easy or hard to get?
3. Airport access, possibilities for long term bicycle parking? Alternately, easy access transfer from public transit.
4. Leads to consider for non-owner liability insurance in CA, car sharing possibilities for cases to use that?
5. Assume I'm already thinking of optimizing the daily commute, grocery/bike store access but any other extra considerations to think of?