View Single Post
Old 01-21-12, 11:35 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack
I would totally do that if Jack was a bit older, but he's only 20 months. I think I like the idea of seat so he can fall asleep too...I just bought a used trailer for $35 so Im going to use that until I can get the seat, i like the idea of having both anyway so i can take the dog too lol
Here are some more ideas:

At 20 months you could probably strap a milk crate down securely and sit him in that. Particularly if you had one of the longer milk crates. It goes without saying (though I'm saying it anyways) that a helmet is a must.

A booster seat attached to the side platform would probably be fun for him. If I could safely rig it (secure the seat, figure out a way to strap him in, and keep him out of the spokes), I might try that as well. I'm probably a little more adventurous than most, though.

Strap a Rubbermaid bin onto the side loader. Put a pillow or two inside and have him sit in that (I use lawn/outdoor furniture cushions). There'd probably be enough room that he could lay down and nap. If you had a bar-mounted mirror you could aim it low enough to be able to watch him to make sure he doesn't stand up. If you didn't have room for both Jack and the dog in the bin, you could put a bin on the other side for the dog. My 4 yo prefers to sit in a bin over a booster seat when he rides on the trailer.

I have a wagon with two seats. I have strapped that cross wise to the front of my BAW trailer. That was when I hauled a washer, dryer and various other assorted scrap metal. I had about 350 pounds on the trailer that day for the 7 mile trip to the scrap yard. You could probably attach a wagon to a side loader and sit him in that. Depending on the size of your dog, you may have enough room for the dog in the wagon as well.

PS- I highly recommend the Burley hitch and round or square bar connector for most bike trailers.

Last edited by hopperja; 01-21-12 at 11:55 PM.