Old 01-22-12, 11:20 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bri9mar
Seems to me your timetable is flexible so why not avoid a lot of hassle and expense and drive to Columbus, park the car, do your tour to Cleveland and bus back to the car.
Bussing back to Columbus would be problematic with the bike. I don't believe Greyhound is very accommodating in that regard. By leaving a car in Columbus, I change the problem from "How do I get my bike packed and sent home?" to "How do I get my bike back to the car?" The distances are shorter, but the problem is exactly the same. Plus the drive to and from Columbus would eat up two full days of my vacation, at least. Gas prices what they are and what they're likely to be by summer, the gas vs. airfare comparisons do not weigh so heavily on the driving side as you might think, especially if I stop for the night somewhere. Once you add in that I don't actually have a car, the whole drive-and-park idea becomes more of a hassle and expense than any other option. If I did have a car, there would be a temptation to do what you suggest, but I think the more likely scenario would be to drive to Columbus, drive to NE Ohio, and bike around there for a few days. The hassle of getting back to Columbus for my car would probably be great enough to warrant scrapping the actual touring aspect of the trip and turn it into a "pootling around north east Ohio" trip. Still enjoyable, but not the trip I'm wanting to take.