Thread: Tensiometer
View Single Post
Old 01-22-12, 12:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
Is there truly any need to consult the chart even once? If the spokes are all the same gauge and they're all the same deflection, they're the same tension, right?
Yes, if that's your only reason to use a tension meter.

I don't use it for that since I use an old school methodology that ensures even tension from the beginning of the process. For decades I built good even tensioned wheels without the need for a gadget.

However, today, with so many rim weights, using different gauge spokes, in various lacings, I can no longer trust my fingers to stay properly calibrated so I use a tension gauge to check the work. On a typical built I'll check the tension on 2-4 spokes as I come to final tension just to be sure I'm where I want to be. However for 32h 3x builds with tubular rims, I can still come to within 10% of target using my calibrated fingers.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.