View Single Post
Old 01-23-12, 04:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by The Octopus
RUSA seems to have a blended policy. Finishers are always listed alphabetically. Usually without finish times, although some RBAs will list them.

We get a yearbook, too, that shows every member in alphabetical order and the ride(s) that he or she did in the preceding year. Finish times are listed. The RUSA website is a font of information -- you can search for any member and see the rides and times that he or she did, or for any ride and see who did it and what their finish times were. Some RBAs will identify DNF'd riders by name (mostly this occurs on 1200Ks), but the majority in my experience will not.

I've never seen randonneuring as a competitive pursuit -- other than against one's self -- nor do most of the randonneurs I've met view it that way. Rather than for fueling some competitive drive, I have found information about finish times to be useful in the aggregate to tell me something about how "tough" a route is either by seeing where the range of times fell or by seeing how riders I know and have ridden with have fared. I like to know what I'm getting into, and finish times help me plan and prepare, much like seeing the total elevation gain for a route.

All that said, anyone looking at finish times in randonneuring should be warned that they oftentimes don't tell you much about the rider who the time belongs to. My 200K times range from 6:45 to 13:10, and the 6:45 included more than an hour off the bike. I know a RAAM solo finisher who did PBP in about 88:30. I know another who qualified for the Charly Miller Society.

Interesting there doesn't appear to be anyone in both Adrian Hand and Charly Miller!