View Single Post
Old 01-24-12, 07:12 AM
Six-Shooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Based on hospital and fatality records. There are very few deaths to mountain bikers who had fallen on trails.

And those accidents cyclists have that aren't reported? They usually aren't reported because the resulting injuries (if any) are minor and require little to no treatment.

Don't get me wrong, cyclists do die and/or suffer serious injury from simple falls, but in over 90% of the cases where they do die, it's because they were hit by a motor vehicle at a speed far above what a helmet was made to help with. They also die from injuries other than head injuries (even when cause of death is listed as ahead injury)
Do you have a reliable source for that? Better, multiple sources?

Either way, your statement goes back to my post about helmet design/standards on the last page. What, precisely, is a "simple fall"? After all, unless you're an unusually talented person, you have to be moving at some speed to be cycling

Where do helmet companies or standards organizations explain precisely what this "simple fall" is or say that's all a helmet is designed to handle? Iirc, those standards I referenced don't discount the interaction of automobiles in a bike crash with a helmet.

OTOH, this standard (I could only find it quoted second hand), does make that distinction:

The foreword to BSI Standard
6863:1987 read as follows:
‘It (the standard) specifies
requirements for helmets
intended for use by pedal cyclists
on ordinary roads, particularly by
young riders in the 5 years to 14
years age group, but which may
also be suitable for off the road. It
is not intended for high-speed or
long distance cycling, or for riders
taking part in competitive events.
The level of protection offered is
less than that given by helmets for
motorcycle riders and is intended
to give protection in the kind
of accident in which the rider
falls onto the road without other
vehicles being involved.’
-- http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

But, according to BSI's web site, this standard has been subsequently withdrawn and revised multiple times. Anyone have the text to the new one? BSI wants to charge 96 pounds for a copy; I think I'll pass on that

The UK's Directgov site, linked from the Department of Transport, merely says

Helmets can help prevent a head injury if you fall from your bike.
without specifying causes or types of falls, interaction with other vehicles, etc.

-- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ng/DG_10026401

THis doesn't mean a helmet is useless, it just means it has limitations, and you should consider these limitations when making claims of efectiveness
What are helmets' specific limitations?