View Single Post
Old 01-28-12, 07:08 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
From what cabbies I know have told me, people do make trips like that in taxis, and longer ones. One driver told me that the longest trip he took was from Lansing to Lexingtom, KY--which must be 300 or 400 miles. Trips from Lansing to Detroit and Chicago airports are pretty common. (100 to 150 miles) I think the run to Detroit Metro is about 75 dollars--well worth it if you need to catch a last minute flight that's costing you a few hundred bucks--especially on an expense account.

I'm too cheap to do this, but it's something some carfree people might want to keep in mind.
I have a deal with one of the local cab companies here, we are just outside the zone pricing from the airport, they could legally charge me by the mile, it would cost me ~$75 to get to the local airport. However they offered me the regular zone price of $30 + a $7.50 "service" charge . There are taxis and there are car services. When I travel to my corporate office I use a car service and have used one a couple of times from the larger airport that is just over an hour from my house. It is usually cheaper than a regular by the mile (or fraction thereof) cab service.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon