View Single Post
Old 01-31-12, 04:18 PM
PHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
....waiting for snow here in New England, but I am prepared!

The frame has a broken brake boss in the rear and it has horizontal dropouts so it was a perfect candidate for a coaster brake hub in the back. The trim kit for the hub was missing the coaster brake strap, so I used a p-clip I had lying around. It seems to be holding up well. It took only a ride or two to get used to the coaster brake. Front brake of course stops with authority which is normal for these old honkin' cantis! Some pix have my $5 frame bag mounted, some dont. (It's just a slightly modded oddly triangular shaped messenger bag.)

It needs a bb overhaul but I just poured a bunch of oil down the seat tube which works for now. I figure as a winter bike I'll trash the bearings either way and simply install a cartridge unit in the summer. A that point I'll settle on a proper single-ring crank. Note to self-install dust-cap. Also I need to fashion a mud guard for the cheap plastic fenders.

Maybe someday I'll change the saddle that I took from a little girls parts bike...but hey, it's comfy!