Thread: Jan Ullrich
View Single Post
Old 11-09-02, 02:59 PM
RacerX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As with any athelete at that level, the mental status is most important. Ullrich will do well if he wants to do well.
He has plenty of doubters. He hasn't competed in over a year and probably doesn't have many miles under his legs but he was overweight and completely uncompetitive at the Giro yet was right there with Lance at the TDF a few short months later (2000).

He is a huge talent. For that reason alone, I hope he comes back. He, like Lance, is a great all-rounder that comes along maybe once in a generation.

He has never doped for sports. He did it partying with drugs that would not help him in racing- even if they could, he was not racing at all so it is moot. He fell into the trappings of fame and success. Remember that he is still young. Anyway, it is all behind him and he seems to be moving forward.

I'm glad every stupid thing I did from 18-25 wasn't under the microscope or else I might not have made it this far! Would anyone? As with anything, I put on my BS filter and ignore all that and concentrate on the sport.
1. Ullrich is a talent capable of winning the TDF or any race he enters.
2. Ullrich's state of mind for racing is a ?
3. He may join CSC, but without Tiscali there may be a $ problem.
4. Is he capable of a comeback? Alot of people in this thread sound like the French when Lance got cancer.
Answer=yes, Ullrich can comeback. If there is one thing Lance taught me is that anyone with heart and iron will can overcome. Guess what, Ullrich has both.
5. Can Ullrich compete at the 03 TDF? I'll wait to see how Ullrich does at the spring classics and Giro or TDsuisse.