Steve_M

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Citizen 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SW PA, new to cycling, fascinated by idea of riding the GAP and C&O to DC

Hi,
Last year I decided I would like to ride the trail from Pittsburgh to DC. After reading this forum, and visiting many LBS's, I bought my first real bike in the fall. Now I have to actually ride it, and get ready for my trip, which I hope to take this year.

I had hoped to find a used hybrid bike, so that I could cut my losses if I decided I didn't like cycling, but I couldn't find one big enough for me. I'm 6' 4", 220 lbs., mid-fifties, with lower back issues. I wound up buying more of a comfort bike, a closeout 2010 Jamis Citizen 3. It has 700mm double walled, 36 spoke wheels, as well as a suspension fork. The riding position is upright, which I wanted, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about that, and may try to do something about the handlebars. I also got a rearview mirror, computer, helmet, tirelevers, patch kit, hydration pack and pump. Over the next few weeks I'm hoping to figure out whether I should get a trailer or panniers to carry my camping gear. I'll be researching fenders, toolkits, racks, tires, tubes, lights, locks, etc. You will probably see me posting on the Touring and Clydesdale forums, as well as some others.

I want you all to know that I appreciate the time you have taken to put such great information in your postings, and I hope that I will soon be able to contribute as well.

Most of all, I want to thank the administrators and sponsors who have made this site possible.