Old 02-02-12, 09:05 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Dan
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bik/2816792354.html
Perhaps worth $250. No way is it going to go anywhere near 600.

My father purchased this bicycle new over 40 years ago. My mother said he saved up for itand used it working a night shift job as a result it has a generator headlight and tailight setup. It also has a vintage odometer with only 880 some miles on it over that time. Wheels measure 26" and frame measure 23" has origianl components including ideale saddle, Hurel shifter and Hurel Allvit derailleur with Fiamme wheels and Racer center pull brakes. Been sitting in the garage for last 25-30 years frozen in time. If I remember correctly the wrap on the bars and tires are the only items that are not orriginal. Contact me to make it yours 864/395-2297 mobile.

Cresent Racer Pepita Special Professional

History:
"From early 1960s Crescent and Monark was actually the same bikes but with different colour, decals, badges, etc. They were the dominant brands in Swedish racing and also sold a lot in Norway and ... Finland.
The famous Pettersson brothers, with three consecutive TTT worlds titles 1967-1969 rode these bikes, two of them (Erik and Sture) on the orange Crescents while Gösta and Thomas rode the light blue Monark. Gösta won the 1971 Giro d'Italia on a Monark although that was a custom made bike, (said to be) De Rosa, painted blue. (Dirty joke of the late 70's: "Do you know what the queen and Gösta Pettersson has in common? - The both have a Monark 'tween their legs")"
"In the late seventies the company marketed Crescent as the top end quality bike while Monark became a budget brand and was out of racing. This is still the case..(but) last year there once again was a Monark road racer on the market, at budget price. ..... I ride a 1968 Monark with Campy bar end gear changers and other goodies."
"Today Crescent & Monark are two brands in a Swedish owned bike conglomerate including also Bianchi, Gitane and the Peugeot cycling division as well as Norwegian DBS and the group is the biggest on the European market."

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
A word to the wise regarding CL sales on really nice C&V bikes: Photographs are EVERYTHING. Value is so dependent on condition and originality. If you have something is EXTRA SPECIAL and worth more than other comparable bikes then you need to have excellent photographs documenting this or nobody is going to follow-up and even bother contacting you. That might be an extra-special bike but using Craigslist stock photo-hosting service results in tiny little low-resolution photos in the add that do nothing to show off what is going on there on that bike. Without off-site storage to present AT LEAST a 600-pixel wide photograph a bike isn't going to look like anything. There is no discernible detail that can show the viewer that this is a $600 bike rather than the $250 bike that the knowledgable reader of this ad is going to assume it is without more proof. And it's just not worth following-up on as it is more likely to be an over-priced example rather than the one-of-a-kind beauty that only larger pictures are going to be able to portray.

CL C&V posting FAIL -learn how to post bigger pictures dude!