Old 02-02-12, 08:34 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by shopgirl
I used an Origin 8 clamp-on cable stop to make a more modern front derailleur (w/o a cable stop) work on my Univega mixte. Everything works perfectly, and it only looks a little funny. You can buy it from amazon or through a shop if you have one that would be willing to order it for you; it should be about $10 either way including shipping. My frame took the 28.6 size.
Ok, so it wasn't a stupid idea then. Good to know it might work.

Originally Posted by SumoMuffin
I've never actually tried this but I'm planning on it for a resto of a schwinn of mine. For the touch ups try priming the chips and scratches with a good primer then touch up with model car paint that matches the luster and shade of black. Both can be found at a hobby/model shop. Then either spray or paint on some clear coat layers, let it dry/cure for a few weeks (you can probably still work on and ride the bike during this time as long as you didn't smother the bike in clear coat). Then buff and polish down the clear coat. Like I said, I've never actually done it but it should work.
Hmmm, spraying on a clear coat from a rattle can. That had never occurred to me. Does that look decent? I'd heard someone say that model paint wasn't all that durable for him, but with a rattle can clear coat on top, that might just protect it. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but how do I know what a good primer is? Again go talk to model shop people? Would a car part store maybe have touch up paint that'd work?
Originally Posted by SumoMuffin
As for the brakes, you can pick up decent sets from the same vintage on ebay at a good deal if you scope them out for long enough.
So the brakes I have aren't very good? I'd heard that most centerpulls from that era were essentially all the same, so it only mattered that you get good pads. Might have to look for some new ones then.