View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 10:21 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
New is not in my vocabulary my father in law once told me and I think he might have been right. I took these photos last fall while cleaning out the barn and putting the junk bikes away for winter. I lined up what I thought were my favorite bikes the ones that if someone (wife) said look get rid of all that junk (classic bikes and parts) I would have to insist on keeping the absolute core of my two wheel transportation. If my n+1 had to reach and end at 6 this would be it, and I think I could live happily ever after with just these 6 (not).

I didn’t think much about cost until I read this thread and not having a bike n+1=zero (ugg). So I looked at the photo of my pride and joys and thought I would try and estimate a cost of the whole fleet. And it came in at $684 or an average cost per bike of $114. That’s about the cost of a Walmart bike.

It boils down for me is your pot hole half full or half empty. For me the joy of biking is getting on a machine you love and getting the wind in your face.

Schwinn MesaRunner clone beach cruiser. Schwinn needing RD $10, Beach bike donor $1, RD donor free. Total cost $11
Soma 10 speed clone to a 3 speed. Soma bike with taco rear wheel and RD $8, 3 speed donor curb find trash night free, rattle can GMC blue truck paint $6. Total cost $14
Concord Selecta 12 Garage sale find asking $40 offered $30. Inverted Schwinn bars from free donor. Total cost $30
KHS Montana Team mtn bike clone commuter hybrid. Garage sale $10, Tires $80, stem, rack, riser bars donor, bar ends $25, grips $7, Mirror $17. Total cost $139
Windsor Tourist. Bike asking $300 Traded 5 mtn bikes garage sale finds totaling $60 plus $100 cash, assorted extras required for touring used and new $250. Total cost $410
Cannondale road bike. Craigslist find (not hot) $75 Touch up paint $5. Total cost $80