View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 07:51 PM
NCbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LHT Sizing for a Newbie

I need some advise. I started riding again after 40 years and over the last 5 months I've put 1500 miles on a Trek Navigator 2. I've decided I want to move up to a touring bike and fancy the Long Haul Trucker, I just don't know what size to buy. I'm 6'-0" tall with a pubic bone measurement of 34.25". All the research I've done online suggest that I should probably be on 58cm frame.

I rode a 58cm LHT at the LBS today and it felt like I was stretched out to much when I was on the hoods. I told this to the guy at the shop and he said I could put a shorter stem on it. I also rode a 56cm Crosscheck as it has the same top tube length as the 56 LHT and it felt more comfortable, but maybe a bit small. when I would pedal off the saddle the steering seemed squirrely.

I also road a 57cm Jamis Aurora that seemed ok fit wise, but out of my budget.

None of the 3 bikes was terribly uncomfortable, I just don't know what I should be looking for by just taking a short ride. I'm afraid the 58 is the right size, but it just feels like I'm stretched out because I'm used to the upright position of the comfort bike I've been riding. I'm guessing that the 56 crosscheck became unstable as I got out of the saddle because it is too small for me and my weight was shifting too far forward.

I wanted to talk to the guy at the shop some more, but while I was out riding, a hot blonde came in bike shopping and I suddenly became invisible.

I know fit is subjective, but I'm lost at this point and any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!