View Single Post
Old 02-04-12, 11:05 AM
BikeToronto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano HG70-C Cassette replacement

The rare Shimano HG70-C 7-speed compact cassette (with 11-tooth inner) on my 20-year old 54cm Concorde 700c hybrid needs replacing. I haven't found any stock here and it seems that only a couple places in the US list it on their product list might even have it. This compact cassette requires the "Hyperglide C" freehub body and lockring. I don't need a replacement for that.

I've done a lot of research but still have these questions. I am hoping some people on here can answer each of them. Thanks.

1. This cassette was sold with the 7 speed LX Hyper-C parts groups. Is this part group still manufactured and sold?

2. The 11 tooth inner is needed for the Hyper Drive-C compact cranksets to have a full gear ratio range (so I guess I must have such a crankset on my bike as I haven't changed anything since I bought it). Therefore I have to stick with the HG70-C unless I change my crankset. But, if I do change the crankset too is it possible for me to change both the freehub body and cassette without changing the rear wheel itself (sorry if that's a stupid question)?