View Single Post
Old 02-04-12, 11:15 PM
jd the nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I am here.

So here I am, and I am very green. I haven't ridden a bike without an engine in a decade; and that's why I'm here now. August 21st I picked a fight at 70mph with a guard rail on my motorcycle and lost. I woke up in a hospital 9 days later with 5 broken vertabre, 5 broken ribs, 2 collapsed lungs, multiple fractures in my shoulder, lacerated liver, ruptured adrenal glands, head trauma, a laceration on my left thigh down to the bone and most relevant of all...my right leg being held on by a 18" rod in my femur (along with no clue how I got there). I'm sure I missed small things, but you get the point. So, now I have limited use of my right, Frankensteinish and nerve damaged leg. So, I need to get my leg as strong and usefull as possible. So, my girl and I bought mountain bikes, which she had wanted to do for a while. Now, she runs marathons and I've spent the last five months in bed.
Anyway...we set out for our first ride today through town and down to the local rails to trails. Let me say, I could not believe how hard the slightest inclines slapped me around like a...well...bad. So, I'm waiting for my power straps to come in, hoping they will keep my lame foot from flopping around on the pedal like a fish on the deck of a rented dingy. And I also hope my next ride can last more than four heart breaking miles. Hope to see you on the trails soon, keep the dirty side down, JD.

Last edited by jd the nomad; 02-04-12 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling