Old 02-06-12, 05:14 PM
StevePGN10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Wheel or New Bike at Stop, Swap and Save?

I'll be going to my first bike swap this Sunday, the Stop, Swap and Save - Westminster February 12:

http://stopswapandsave.com/

Any tips on attending the swap are appreciated.

I'm looking to improve my commuter situation, and could use some advice/opinions. I'm currently using an 1983 Schwinn Super LeTour to which I've added VO fenders, a Megarange freewheel, and a Wald rack. I had to coldset the frame to fit the 7 speed Megarange, plus add some washers to get the wheel to center and provide clearance for the freewheel. Also, the VO fenders are the 45mm model and they don't have much clearance for the 1 1/4" Paselas. All in all,it was a pretty good solution for me until a spoke popped a couple of weeks ago. Seems like 306mm spokes are hard to come by locally, and buying a box of them online is a little pricey. By the way, my commute is a roller coaster ride and something like the Megarange with a 34 tooth cog is essential. I'm considering a few options.

Buy spokes and fix the wheel. Or,

Buy a new 27" wheel with 130mm spacing (gets rid of the washers I'm currently using). Or

Buy a 700c wheel with 130mm spacing, the brakes have enough reach to accommodate 700c rims (gets rid of washers, plus gives some extra room for the tires inside the fenders). Or

BUY A NEW C&V BIKE!!!

I have pined away for an old school bike that has the fenders and racks as part of the original equipment, something like a Peugeot AE8. What models of C&V bikes should I be aware of? I'm aware that some of these bikes came with steel wheels and gaspipe tubing. Am I kidding myself that they could be a useful commuter for a hilly commute?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Steve