Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I finished this on Saturday.

Pros:
- VERY, VERY insightful. This book has permanently changed the way that I eat. My diet for myself and my child will be dramatically and permanently changed. I can say this book changed my life.
- If you ever wonder why America is fat, your friend is fat, you are fat...this book will help you understand. This helped me understand why even though I trained hard 6 days a week (2 of those days had morning AND afternoon workouts) and was still overweight.
- It's not a fad diet...but it explains the basis of fad diets (the ones that are effective and the ones that are not).

Cons:
- It's sort of a dry read. But, unfortunately, it has to be. Gary Taubes makes some bold assertions and points and has to back them up with proof and inline citations. Otherwise, he'd be dismissed as writing BS. I skipped and skimmed over the really, really boring parts.

I have already incorporated several of the points in the book and my body fat % has gone down and I'm stronger. The strength is due to weight training, though. But, it's no more weight training than I've done over the past 3 years. Same training but now it's more effective. The only change was my diet.