SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tohtruck
Thanks for the help and support everyone! Really, even just hearing the encouragement that I'm steering in the right direction really helps a lot as I'm trying my best to avoid blind ignorance in getting into this thing.

I'll try and see if the bike shops around have the models you guys are bringing up.

Yeah, I'll be riding in NYC.

I think I'm going to keep my LBS prospects limited to just Manhattan. Richard4993, you bring up such a great point. There's lots of other bike spots that I should probably check out in BK and other boroughs. However, since I live in Manhattan, and if an issue ever came up with my potential future bike, it would make sense to buy from a place close by that will help me out.

SlimRider, is there a reason why a person shouldn't directly spray paint the bike? I really really really just want a very plain (no stickers or brand names or anything flashy) solid color black bike, which was one of the reasons I liked the Felt Brougham so much, it just looked simple and plain. But I figured if I ended up with something kinda flashy looking, I would just spray paint it.
Hey there TohTruck!

I was just thinking in terms of keeping up the resale value of the bike. Also, if you have tape over the tubes, people just wonder what in the heck is wrong with your bike! Bike thieves, would have to wonder the same thing too! Of course, if you do just spray paint directly onto your tubes, you won't be causing any permanent damage to your bike. You can always have it professionally powder-coated, later. However, no matter what happens paint wise cosmetically, it will still remain quite functional as a bicycle. So, to that extent, you're absolutely correct, you can paint the bike to make it look less attractive.

Damn! These are such awful times...

I just hate destroying the aesthetics of beautiful bikes!

I say, if you have two quality locks on your bike, and it's not parked outside overnight, you should be alright.

However, I'm not a New Yorker! I therefore, can't really say at all. You should know more about that than myself. If my bike was parked in a public place, during the day, and locked with two locks, I'd feel fairly secure in Cleveland, San Francisco, or Oakland. Like I said, I really can't comment upon New York.

Two New York Fahgettaboudit locks should be adequate security you would think!

Last edited by SlimRider; 02-10-12 at 05:42 PM.