View Single Post
Old 02-08-12, 10:22 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I've ridden the Simano Nexus 8 and Alfine 8 on my primary transportation bicycles for the past 6 years, and am extremely pleased with my experience.
My wife's bike has the Alfine hub/hydraulic disc combo and it is a very nice setup. Excellent quality all around.

I'll add another note regarding wheel removal - it is EASY, once you know how to do it. It is daunting to do the first time, because it is so different than a derailleur setup. What I've found is that I actually find it easier to do than with a derailleur - there's no navigating around a pulley or tussling with the springy derailleur to align things before slipping the wheel into/out of the dropouts.
So, follow the advice posted thus far and get your hands on it to get comfy with it.
I highly recommend having a 2mm hex key (or I use a 6" length of an old spoke) to insert into the hole (that shimano has provided for this purpose) to rotate the mechanism, making the cable process ridiculously easy. Takes me 5 seconds or less to remove or re-install the cable.

As far as reliability, once the initial indexing is set up properly, it is a spectacular system that will give you many, many miles of trouble free service (or least, it has in my experience).