View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 08:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
In the days of light rims unscrewing a single nipple could cause all sorts of grief. However today's rims are very rigid (and heavier) so it's relatively safe to remove and replace a single nipple or spoke in a new wheel. Obviously you want to do these one at a time, and re-establish a fairly true wheel before doing the next one. Perfect alignment and tension isn't necessary between each replacement.

Here's are tricks that'll both help replace these nipples, and prevent the problem next time.

1- too late now, but next time lace the wheel slightly too far to the right, align and true it and bring it up to something short of final tension. Now dish the wheel to center tightening the left spokes only, which will bring the wheel to final tension while moving the rim to center. The advantage is that you're not working the tightest spokes as much, if at all.

2- buy or scavange a broom handle or a similar 2' piece of wood. When you have to work very tight spokes, use the broom handle against the hub to lever the rim across a bit toward the spoke, and take some load off it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-10-12 at 10:45 AM.