View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 11:09 PM
SweetLou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I agree, I do not know if a bicycle trailer like a trailer pulled behind a car is required to have it's own taillight or not. Here's another good question, given that trailers pulled behind cars, pickup trucks, motorcycles, or RVs are required to have license plates what about trailers pulled behind a bicycle?

Trailers are NOT (at least the last time I checked) motorized vehicles, yet, they're required to have license plates and presumably (in states with inspections) to be inspected and registered. So why does it appear that bicycle trailers are exempt?
I have no idea what your state says, but in Ohio, the definition of a trailer is:
(M) “Trailer” means any vehicle without motive power that is designed or used for carrying property or persons wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, and includes any such vehicle that is formed by or operated as a combination of a semitrailer and a vehicle of the dolly type such as that commonly known as a trailer dolly, a vehicle used to transport agricultural produce or agricultural production materials between a local place of storage or supply and the farm when drawn or towed on a public road or highway at a speed greater than twenty-five miles per hour, and a vehicle that is designed and used exclusively to transport a boat between a place of storage and a marina, or in and around a marina, when drawn or towed on a public road or highway for a distance of more than ten miles or at a speed of more than twenty-five miles per hour. “Trailer” does not include a manufactured home or travel trailer.
As you see, trailer does not apply to a bicycle trailer. We are not a motor vehicle and the rest of it doesn't apply to bicycles either.