View Single Post
Old 02-11-12, 04:56 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
Well, perhaps you haven’t been reading my responses; it was hard for me to check anything when I first posted the question since I was out-of-town without the bike until yesterday. I think I’ve done what any backyard bike enthusiast would do, I first try to correct the problem myself, then took the bike to the best LBS in my area with no solution, then posted the question here and through the back and forth process of this open forum have found the problem.

Thank you for your participation.

p.s. Yes, I am sure the tire is pointed in the right direction. It is backwards as the wheel has been reversed which was wisely advised that I do to confirm that it was the frame, not the wheel, that was misaligned. Have a nice day!
Sorry, missed putting in the smiley face on the tire direction - I was joking at that point.

But I stand by my feeling that you need to put a bit more thought into the process and more respect for those giving advice, as shown by the incorrect string routing and the post below:

2/7 2:14am So there's 6-7 people that suggest flipping the wheel in the frame to see if the offset reverses and you still won't try it.

Why not?

The reason I don't feel that that will do anything is because my first reaction when I saw it was to try and put the spacer from the left to right side by threading the axle through. It resulted in the offset being exactly wrong on the left side as it was the right. Go figure.

_______________________________________________________________--
There was no clear message from you that you did not have the bike available until you had made multiple posts that questioned or ignored the “reverse the wheel “ suggestion, and the above post shows you still did not accept that solution.

As for “Go figure” - it’s simple math/geometry. If you subtract 3mm from one side and add 3mm to the other you change the wheel position by 6mm – 3mm back to center, then 3mm to the other side.

Finally, regarding spacers, previous posters gave incomplete info, as spacers also affect chainline. Check Sheldon's info on that to understand why you can't just move spacers around according to the hub alone.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-11-12 at 05:14 PM.