View Single Post
Old 02-12-12, 08:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrcr
Does it make a difference if the sensor is put towards center of wheel or should it be placed more towards perimeter? I ask cause i've read that it makes no difference but I just installed one on my bike and went for a ride and it is telling me my max speed it 53 mph. I know my legs can't go that fast.
The speed at the perimeter is faster than at the hub. Sometimes, the speed farther from the hub causes problems but it will cause loss of counts of wheel rotation. Also, for wireless computers, the distance between the sensor and the display unit can be too large (and this will cause loss of counts).

If the position of the sensor is a problem, your speed will be lower than expected. Note that the magnet has to be close to the sensor and the shape of your fork may only allow a particular location.

If your speed is higher than expected, that means you are getting extra fake wheel rotation counts.

Wacky high speeds is usually the result of interference with an analog wireless speedometer.

Digital wireless speedometers might not always report the speed (due to interference) but they won't report fake speeds. That is, with digital wireless computers should never over report your speed.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-12-12 at 08:27 AM.