View Single Post
Old 02-13-12, 04:41 PM
TornadoCAN99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spot ACME First Impressions

Had my Spot Acme for less than a week now and I'm really loving it.

Mine is the 2011 model with the new CenterTrack belt system. Also has the classic style swept back handle bars and grey/metallic paint...2012 model gets the flatbar & hand-polished alu finish.

I found the classic handlebar gave the bike a twitchy feel and wasn't my liking...so I've swapped to a 15 degree riser bar and this has transformed the feel of the bike for the better. Still breaking in the nice quailty WTB seat...though if it doesn't come in soon I might be looking to swap to something more comfy (I'm an old guy!). I had a Salle Royal on my last bike that was very good.

The Alfine 11 speed hub & belt drive are truly wonderful! I'm doing 14 miles on my dailiy work commute on paved/gravel paths and city roads. Gear range seems tailor made for my route...maybe lost some top gear range going down the steepest hills...on my former hybrid (Devinci Helsinki 18 spd) I would top out on that hill at about 28 mph...not sure I ever need/should be going that fast :-)
The lowest gear still gets me to the top of some pretty decent slopes with the same effort on the Helsinki.

I've also fitted the ACME with a Tooba rear rack and Ortlieb DownTown bag. The QL-3 mounting system option for the bag is a huge improvement over other mounts I've seen on panniers. You just lower the bag onto the rack-mounted catches and it clicks in place with no effort. Lifting up with the bag's handle just unhooks from the catches again with no effort...sweet! It's perfect for the multiple trips a day type of on/off activity I need.

I'm researching kickstands...anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.
Mike.